Re: Release-team

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 04:17:11PM +0200, Frode Jemtland wrote:

> Here we go again :)
>
> After discussing the release team idea during this weekend developergathering,
> I feel we need to put some more pressure into getting this up and running.
>
> To days situation is that Finn-Arne is doing most (almost everything) of the
> work with the CD. (And thank you for that Finn-Arne). We are a lot of users
> who have access to the debian-edu part on Aliot. But there is not many of us
> that actually knows how to build a new CD. We all want to have more
> contributors to the release process, and to get this, I think it is a god
> idea to put up a release-team.
>

> What is the tasks of such a team?
> In my opinion, the main task for this team should be to verify that a CD is
> good enough to be sent out as a PR#, or a RC#, or a 1.0 version or what ever,
> official version. This mean they need to have good knowledge of how the CD is
> build, good routines in how to test a CD, the ability to fix most of the
> technical problems we might run into during testing the CD. (I didn't say be
> able to fix everything, just pointing out that this will be technically
> challenging.). They should be able to tell the rest of us what we have to do
> with the CD to get the next official version released, if there are any
> showstoppers, that others can contribute to solve.
>
> I also think that another important task for this team is to document how they
> do their black magic. This is important to get other contributors into the
> project. Two of the first howto's the new members of this team should do is
> to write "howto build a new CD after I have upgraded a file in a package",
> and "howto build a new CD with a new package that has not been on the CD
> before". Yes, I know that most of this is available today, but I think this
> would be a great job, to get to know how the process are done, for the new
> members of the team.
>

> What is not the task of such a team?
> I'm not sure if this team is the best team to set the list of what (end user)
> programs should be included on the CD. That should be the task of our users.
> We might need another (not technical) team to do that.
> Who's going to choose the list of more technical packages of the CD, I haven't
> thought of yet.
>

> How big should such a team be?
> I think such a team should try to be so small that no one can "hide away", and
> everyone can follow what the others do.  But big enough so we can spread the
> load. I think that around 3 persons should do, but this is only a hunch from
> my side.
>

> Have I forgotten any thing?
> Yes of course I have :) Please share what you think of the idea with a
> release-team.....
>

> I'm here asking a couple of questions about this team. I have tried to
> elaborate what _I_ think of these questions. And for your information, I have
> not setup a release team before ;)
>
> --
> [...]

IMNSHO we need a healthy community.

People that are willing to use our code
People that use our code

People that are willing to tell what they think about our code
People that tell what they think about our code

People that are willing to check/try/testdrive our code
People that check/try/testdrive our code

People that are willing to document our code
People that document our code

People that are willing to rebuild our code
People that can rebuild our code

People that are willing to modify our code
People that can modify our code

People that are willing to write our code
People that write our code

We allready have made a good start,
the challange is now to keep the ball rolling.

Cheers
Geert Stappers