Subversion repository set up for testing

On the Skolelinux gathering in Bergen a couple of weeks ago there was
some talk about converting the Skolelinux CVS repository to Subversion
<http://subversion.tigris.org>, which brings many new features, for
example renaming of files and directories, atomic commits, global
revision numbers, versioning of symlinks and properties, etc. I
suggested to set up a Subversion repository for testing, and I ran a
convertion of the CVS repository as of 2005-06-20 17:16:37 UTC wich
resulted in 43395 revisions.

The repository itself, in FSFS¹ format is stored as a .tar.bz2 file at

  http://tmp.sunbase.org/skolelinux/skolelinux.tar.bz2

if anyone wants to experiment with it at their local machine. Just
unpack it and use a Subversion client newer than 1.1 against it.

A test installation of the repository is available at

  http://svn.sunbase.org/repos/skolelinux/trunk/

This repository is only meant for experimenting to let the committers
have a look at how it would look like if the repository is converted to
Subversion. If commit access is wanted to that repository so you can
play around, send a MD5 hash (for example created with "htpasswd -m") to
me by email with your wanted username, and I'll set it up in no time. If
you don't have htpasswd or anything at hand, you can send the user name
and I'll create a random password which is mailed back.

Some details about the convertion itself. This is what cvs2svn reported
after the convertion was finished:

cvs2svn Statistics:
------------------
Total CVS Files:             47902
Total CVS Revisions:        200008
Total Unique Tags:             283
Total Unique Branches:          33
CVS Repos Size in KB:      1752390
Total SVN Commits:           43395
First Revision Date:    Sat Jul 14 17:02:52 2001
Last Revision Date:     Mon Jun 20 19:16:37 2005
------------------
Timings:
------------------
pass 1:   973 seconds
pass 2:   471 seconds
pass 3:     3 seconds
pass 4:   385 seconds
pass 5:   552 seconds
pass 6:     7 seconds
pass 7:    14 seconds
pass 8: 57026 seconds
total:  59435 seconds

The machine which where the convertion was done is a 450Mhz Pentium III
with Debian stable (version 3.1) and cvs2svn-1.2.x-r1428. The convertion
took about 16 hours with a lot of other stuff happening on the machine
now and then.

du(1) says the size of the Subversion repository is 2.0 gigabytes, and
the CVS repository was about 1.8 gigabytes.

¹: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/fsfs

Regards,
Øyvind A. Holm