Re: Subversion repository set up for testing

ons, 22,.06.2005 kl. 23.58 +0200, skrev Øyvind A. Holm:
> On the Skolelinux gathering in Bergen a couple of weeks ago there was
> some talk about converting the Skolelinux CVS repository to Subversion
> <http://subversion.tigris.org>, which brings many new features, for
> example renaming of files and directories, atomic commits, global
> revision numbers, versioning of symlinks and properties, etc. I
> suggested to set up a Subversion repository for testing, and I ran a
> convertion of the CVS repository as of 2005-06-20 17:16:37 UTC wich
> resulted in 43395 revisions.

Having been part of this discussion, along with several other
translators (using these archives every day), and having set up a svn
archive myself lately, I'll like to add:

Subversion is much better to work with. Many of you are using Subversion
on Alioth now, and we (translators etc.) don't want to be left out.

Major improvements include:
* Documentation on your fingertips. Just type «svn help» (for an
overview of commands) or «svn help <command>» and you'll have help for
most of your need. Main documentation is well written and to the point.
* Possible to rename and delete directories. No problem.
* No more confusion about revision numbers.
* If we want, we can also use «trac» for revision history, comments
etcetera. It's a combined tool for tracking revision history, adding
comments, reports, etc. to the

During the talk, all were for having (at least) the translation files as
a subversion archive. So far, everyone were positive, no one against.

Above setup is an attempt to show how Subversion works, if there are any
comments, and if the old cvs archive at cvs.skolelinux.no can (at least
partially) be moved over to a subversion archive.
The setup proves it's possible to convert the whole cvs archive into
subversion and continue the work without trouble.
I'm for a transition. Someone with root password on cvs.skolelinux.no
could contact Axel and Gaute too, they were in on it.

Hope this works out.
Harald