Re: less hard coded config files

On 21-06-2005 23:17, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> the way you worded it, it basically sounds like any use of debconf
> pre-seeding a policy violation... but i don't think that is true.

Thanks for clarifying. We seem to disagree.

(not that I see *any* use of debconf preseeding as policy violating, but
when done by maintainer scripts of other packages, yes).

>>>you seem to be saying "this is broken, we need it fixed."
>>>
>>>and others seem to say "yes, we know, but we have other priorities right
>>>now."
>>
>>Maybe I'm just blind, but I never realized the "yes, we know, but" part.
>

> here's one:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2005/05/msg00304.html

That one says "yes, we know this can be better - but it isn't broken".

What I can't find is "yes, we know this is broken".

>>>without *providing* and alternative, re-stating the issue will not solve
>>>it.
>

>>If we all agree to what is the problem, you are right: there is no need
>>to re-state it.
>

> simply restating a problem will not convince anyone, either.

I agree. And believe this discussion have not included statements simply
repeated.

> i don't know anyone involved in CDDs who doesn't wish we had better
> tools to deal with these situations...

Sure. But some of them place only things inside Debian that follows the
guidelines.

 - Jonas

- --