Re: LDAP CRITICAL irregular nagios message

Geert Stappers wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:14:21PM +0200, Patrick Willam wrote:

Hi folks!

I've set up a Skolelinux server some three weeks ago, and since
then Nagios keeps messaging root irregularly every to every second
day that the ldap-server isn't responding ("LDAP CRITICAL ...").
Sometimes it takes just some minutes, but sometimes many hours(!),
until Nagios says ldap's back ("LDAP OK ...").

I'm looking forward to get some hints to hunt down the problem.
If you have some idea, please let me hear.

Could you tell more about the performance of the server?

I think the machine is too busy when nagios is checking ldap.

It's an Athlon >1.5GHz with 2GB RAM.
Up to now there are usually 2 (max. 3) of the 16 w2k clients switched
on/ connected/ logged in simultaneously. It is not always the same 2
boxes; this is rather up to the timetable an which class now uses their
2 or 3 computers in ther class room.

Because no terminal services are used up to now, the only load -- apart
from the automatic things on tjener -- comes from logging in and off to
samba (from the w2k boxes) and using the squid proxy (very moderately).

But i think i'll set up a cronjob for checking the load just to be sure.
Thanks for the hint.

Looking at the logs so far is even more confusing for me:
Having set up the slapd loglevel to 256 i can see that slapd happily
logs bindings and searches at all times, even the times which are
mentioned by nagios as "CRITICAL". (!?!)
Florian Lohoff said on the german list, that if there is a problem
with bind and it dies it'll write it into daemon.log. But there are
just the normal startup lines from the times i re-/started it by
myself. (I've checked other logfiles as well as daemon.log)

Confused but nevertheless with best regards,
  Patrick