Re: LDAP CRITICAL irregular nagios message

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:52:31PM +0200, Patrick Willam wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> >
> >Could you tell more about the performance of the server?
> >
> >I think the machine is too busy when nagios is checking ldap.
>
> It's an Athlon >1.5GHz with 2GB RAM.

Mmm, that is surely not the kind of old box that I feared  :-)

> Up to now there are usually 2 (max. 3) of the 16 w2k clients switched
> on/ connected/ logged in simultaneously. It is not always the same 2
> boxes; this is rather up to the timetable an which class now uses their
> 2 or 3 computers in ther class room.
>
> Because no terminal services are used up to now, the only load -- apart
> from the automatic things on tjener -- comes from logging in and off to
> samba (from the w2k boxes) and using the squid proxy (very moderately).
>
> But i think i'll set up a cronjob for checking the load just to be sure.
> Thanks for the hint.

My guess is that you will find an idle system and the problem gone[1].

I think it is something odd like a power save mode,
where disks are spinned down.

Everything in cache and only nagios asks ldap to fetch something
from disk, which has to spin up.

> Looking at the logs so far is even more confusing for me:
> Having set up the slapd loglevel to 256 i can see that slapd happily
> logs bindings and searches at all times, even the times which are
> mentioned by nagios as "CRITICAL". (!?!)

AFAIK means CRITICAL from Nagios:
got the answer, but not as quick as it should be.

> Florian Lohoff said on the german list, that if there is a problem
> with bind and it dies it'll write it into daemon.log. But there are
> just the normal startup lines from the times i re-/started it by
> myself. (I've checked other logfiles as well as daemon.log)

Let's call the interesting problem a real challenge

> Confused but nevertheless with best regards,
>   Patrick

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] cronjob prevents disks being spinned down.