Re: LTSP and lessdisks

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 16-06-2005 02:01, Knut Yrvin wrote:
>
>>>Lessdisks does the job, but more bugs has to be ironed out ... There are
>>>4-5 schools in Norway using Lessdisks with support from Finn-Arne.
>

> Sure, bugs needs ironing - in both Lessdisks and LTSP.
>
> LTSP itself works, and is unofficially packaged to work with Debian.
> Same is true with the Lessdisks packages used by Finn-Arne.

The difference is that the Lessdisks packages is provided from the
upstream source, I dont do no rebuilding of the packages.

> What needs to be "ironed out" is, I believe, problems of both LTSP and
> Lessdisks: Sane support of removable media and local periferals, and
> sane auto-installable and upgradeable packaging.

from 0.6.something it's auto installable.
installing the propper kernel, and the proper addon packages (from
debian Sarge), it supports removable media and local periferals. But it
needs some tweaking.

When it comes to upgradable packaging, I do agree with you, that is why
I dont want "untrained" personel to "do this at home". It _will_ give
lessdisks a bad reputation, and that is not good.

I have of course almost only looked at this from a "diskless
workstation" point of view, and not from an XTerminal point of view.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/