Re: LTSP and lessdisks

On 16-06-2005 02:01, Knut Yrvin wrote:
> torsdag 16. juni 2005, 00:18, skrev Vagrant Cascadian:
>
>>so every now and then, i'm curious about the possibility of including
>>lessdisks in skolelinux.  this obviously requires an evaluation of
>>how lessdisks compares with LTSP.
>

> This 9 month old document has to be updated, but it lining up what we
> could do:
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/driftskonsepter/2004-09-06-thin-clients.html

It certainly could use an update, yes.

The document mentions at the end a request for comments. Some comments
were given looong time ago:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2004/09/threads.html (at the end) and
http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2004/10/threads.html (at the start).

Those comments could probably make a good start on such update.

> LTSP has support for half thick clients today. But the drawback is the
> lack of reuse with Debian. This could be solved with the a improwed
> LTSP:
>
> http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/LTSPXorgConfiguration?highlight=%28LTSPXorgConfiguration%29

The above is not reuse of Debian binaries in LTSP environment. It is the
reuse of Ubuntu X11 autoconfiguration for LTSP.

I'd certainly like to hear more concrete on Ubuntu properly getting LTSP
into Debian.

> Lessdisks does the job, but more bugs has to be ironed out ... There are
> 4-5 schools in Norway using Lessdisks with support from Finn-Arne.

Sure, bugs needs ironing - in both Lessdisks and LTSP.

LTSP itself works, and is unofficially packaged to work with Debian.
Same is true with the Lessdisks packages used by Finn-Arne.

What needs to be "ironed out" is, I believe, problems of both LTSP and
Lessdisks: Sane support of removable media and local periferals, and
sane auto-installable and upgradeable packaging.

 - Jonas

- --