Re: LTSP and lessdisks

On 16-06-2005 08:49, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

This remark in an LTSP-centric posting makes lessdisks sound unreliable
compared to LTSP. I believe that is plain wrong: the two solutions are
not that far from each other technically, only by perception. That was
the reason for my commenting.

>>Sure, bugs needs ironing - in both Lessdisks and LTSP.
>>
>>LTSP itself works, and is unofficially packaged to work with Debian.
>>Same is true with the Lessdisks packages used by Finn-Arne.
>

> The difference is that the Lessdisks packages is provided from the
> upstream source, I dont do no rebuilding of the packages.

I know. The packaging(!) work done by Vagrant may be "good enough" for
Skolelinux. But from a Debian perspective a package made by Vagrant is
unofficial.

Many upstream authors provide Debian packages of their work. For Debian
that work is usually taken as inspiration but the package maintainer is
responsible for the Debian packaging holding up to the Debian standards.

>>What needs to be "ironed out" is, I believe, problems of both LTSP and
>>Lessdisks: Sane support of removable media and local periferals, and
>>sane auto-installable and upgradeable packaging.
>

> from 0.6.something it's auto installable.
> installing the propper kernel, and the proper addon packages (from
> debian Sarge), it supports removable media and local periferals. But it
> needs some tweaking.
>
> When it comes to upgradable packaging, I do agree with you, that is why
> I dont want "untrained" personel to "do this at home". It _will_ give
> lessdisks a bad reputation, and that is not good.
>
> I have of course almost only looked at this from a "diskless
> workstation" point of view, and not from an XTerminal point of view.

I think we agree here (can you believe it!!! ;-) ). But my main point in
this thread was that the current situation of LTSP and Lessdisks in
Skolelinux are similar, which I felt was not the picture Knut drew.

 -Jonas

- --