Re: We are asking the teachers: [Re: choosing software applications]

fre, 04,.03.2005 kl. 08.43 +0100, skrev Knut Yrvin:

> The main problem is that the teachers don't give an real answer what
> they want or expect from an applications when we aks them. A lot of
> activeties is therefore reorganised to learn the teacher how to make
> choices when looking for applications as a part of their teaching. This
> is non trivial, and goes much further than this article:
>
> > http://osdir.com/Article4389.phtml

Indeed.
One obvious reason is the teachers (or most other computer users) don't
have any clear idea what they want or expect from applications.
They aren't used to ponder those questions.
A general idea is the most you can get, and quite often their
expectations turn out to be a bad idea.
Who says we're different? What do we do when trying out new food, for
example? We build experience, and being able to define a difference or
even bringing up new ideas, is quite a way down that path.

What surprises me is why the low-level IT managers aren't asked more.
Those who interact with the computer users on a daily basis, day in and
day out trying to eke out of the users what kind of problems the users
have?
Or are they too much like the users they spend their time with, having
no clue what exactly is their problem? Why aren't they thought how to
analyze that?
To code doesn't need to be the only holy grail for a computer
professional. Proper feedback is just as important.

The problem? How to turn these people from whining, from loose ideas
that's going to end nowhere, into an organized effort of user
experience.
Where user experience doesn't just end up as a way to bug coders, but
where it's going to be helpful.

Harald

--
Harald Thingelstad <harald@skolelinux.no>