Re: choosing software applications

Hi Gavin

Gavin McCullagh schrieb:
Hi Bernd,

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, bernd wrote:

Later we have installed newer versions of kde and OO and then we build an own start-menue.

It's cool that you could do this but that may be less practical for schools
in general.
But they are free to do it, its not really a Problem.

If there are questions about a program, that is not installed, we discuss it an then we have changed the menue or we installed a new software.

Indeed.

The argument, that some things must be removed completely because of the place - we have so many place on the Harddisks, lets use it !

Quite often we don't.  Old laptops (the same ones which will have
difficulty running OOo) may have 2-4GB drives.  However, the disk space is
a secondary thing. The issue is more one of usability and support.
These laptops are favorites to install as thin clients. The Softwareplace is on the server. So i can use the labtob as an multiboot client. hda1 - windows (if needed) and the Rest for the Client if there is no LTSP. so the rest of maybe 2 GB is enough to install everything you need to educate. The fully installed Systems in my school need under 2 GB an i have installed more software than usable on skole.

Same for getting everything on one cd - the times changed and i think, that a DVD could also be used by everyone. If there is not an DVD, there is the great Internet, to get the Installation complete.

Does every computer you need to install an OS on have a DVD ROM drive?
That certainly wouldn't be true for me.  Broadband is not always accessible
either.

Then lets pack a second cd. The new idea of loosing the Standalone-Profile and use a education-barebone configuration tells me, that sometimes in the future the cd is to small.
If there are schools without a Internetconnection, lets talk about.
Gavin

Bernd