Re: Desktop setup (WAS Re: choosing software applications)

On Thursday 03 March 2005 16:40, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 03-03-2005 16:20, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 March 2005 15:35, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> > In fact we currently have 3 profiles (or rather we do in the
> > cvs-version of debian-edu-config)
> > - common -> configuration that is set for all Skoleinux machines
> > - networked-kde2 -> networksettings for kde2
> > - networked-kde3 -> networksettings for kde3
> > (the src/debian-edu-config/README file in svn on alioth contains an
> > overview of exactly what settings are in there)
> >
> > I'll be glad to add further profiles student, teacher, administrator
> > .... or whatever else people come up with.  I'm not sure what that
> > setup should be though.
>
> Are you saying that if both teacher and student profiles are installed
> on same machine, it is somehow possible to choose per login or per
> session which profile to use?
Yes, the desktop-profiles package I've been working on provides a general
mechanism to do this.

Basically it's a generalization of the approach used by the
20debian-edu-kdedirs Xsession.d script provided by debian-edu-config. It's
crossdesktop and dynamic (wel from the admin's point of view).
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team