Re: choosing software applications

Hi,

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

> > >   - don't put them in the menus or toolbars.
> >
> > This could still lead to confusing result, like with KWord and OOWriter
> > both handling .doc -documents.
>
> em, if they're both present they _should_ both be in the menu

I think all three of us are saying the same thing here.  This is not a nice
solution.  The only thing I can recall that might be a simple (if
inelegant) approach to this involves kschoolmenu where a certain unix group
(eg teachers) can have it's menu contents defined.  One could encourage
people to use certain software by that means.  However, the KDE toolbar and
desktop are not included by that.

> I'd take that the other way around as KOffice is a _lot_ faster then OOo :-O

I accept the performance issue and I doubt OOo 2.0 is much better in this
regard either.  However, it's hard to justify not offering the word
processor which has the best compatibility with Microsoft Office.  As
someone else noted, the fact that OOo runs on OS X and Win32 is also a big
advantage when people can go home and easily install it there too.

Gavin