Re: choosing software applications

On Thursday 03 March 2005 13:23, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> True. This is as far as I know also the policy behind the default setup
> in Gnome - By default you can't customize much.
wrong approach:
  by default you don't _have_to_ customize much
is what we should be going for

> > In a skolelinux school, I think that means skolelinux making the
> > choice. That means making a choice of application for each task and
> > disappearing the others.  There are at least two means to achieve this:
> >
> >   - remove the other applications.
> >   - don't put them in the menus or toolbars.
>
> This could still lead to confusing result, like with KWord and OOWriter
> both handling .doc -documents.

em, if they're both present they _should_ both be in the menu (the whole
point of a menu is to give access to all functionality), regarding toolbars
(or rather panels/desktop icons in this case) you should indeed only place
the default one.

> We have one problem, and that is the already installed base.
> A lot of schools, espesially in the lower grades, finds a nonbloated
> WordProcessor like KWord better suited for the kids. But now , with the
> new KWord, I find that it is moving in the bloatware direction. So Maybe
> it's the right time for leaving KOffice out, and focusing on OOo ?
I'd take that the other way around as KOffice is a _lot_ faster then OOo :-O
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team