Desktop setup (WAS Re: choosing software applications)

On Thursday 03 March 2005 15:35, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> I think all three of us are saying the same thing here.  This is not a
> nice solution.  The only thing I can recall that might be a simple (if
> inelegant) approach to this involves kschoolmenu where a certain unix
> group (eg teachers) can have it's menu contents defined.  One could
> encourage people to use certain software by that means.  However, the KDE
> toolbar and desktop are not included by that.
Not a problem anything you can configure in KDE, whe _can_ change on a
conditional basis (as in this one for teachers and that one for students).
  Note: We do currently hardcode which setup is activated when
    though desktop-profiles gives you a standard mechanism for controlling
                  that dynamically

In fact we currently have 3 profiles (or rather we do in the cvs-version of
debian-edu-config)
- common -> configuration that is set for all Skoleinux machines
- networked-kde2 -> networksettings for kde2
- networked-kde3 -> networksettings for kde3
(the src/debian-edu-config/README file in svn on alioth contains an overview
of exactly what settings are in there)

I'll be glad to add further profiles student, teacher, administrator .... or
whatever else people come up with.  I'm not sure what that setup should be
though.

P.S. do we have a webinterface to the svn repo available somewhere?
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team