Re: Fwd: Sarge - Installation stops at sd_mod

Georg Damm wrote:
[...]

Or he can switch his sata controller to a "legacy ATA mode".
Not Sure if it works as I have not any s-ata drives at all.

No, I didn't find anything like that.

This is in bios, not in the debian-installer.

I thought that you meant the bios, but there seems to be no possibility to switch the sata controller to a "legacy ATA mode".

Well Lucky you. yes really , I've been told that the legacy ATA mode really sucks.

It may be possible to build an image with 2.6 kernel, but then
you cant use autopartkit, and you have to partition the drive
yourself. I hav vagely looked at providing a schema for
partman, but that's just vagely. If someone could point me to
the documentation on how to add a custom schema for partman I
would be happy.

Is it planned to build an image with 2.6 kernel? I don't worry
about partitioning the disk myself, but I don't have a clue how
to build the image.

I've bveen thinking about it. Offically, it's not planned, but I
might give it a go.

That would be very helpful and the only possibility to install skolelinux on this machine? Otherwise I would try to install everything on a different IDE-disk, upgrade the kernel and copy everything using knoppix and dd.

That could be a possibility.

P.S.: Is there a debian howto/documentation about modifying the installer?

You might take a look at my howto for installing sarge-based debian-edu, and the readme-file for the script I made "buildcd". The readmefile is "README.buildcd" under debian-edu/src/build/CD/ on alioth.

I think the trick I used on powerpc was to just leave autopartkit out of the CD, and keep the 2.6-kernels

// FAJ