Re: Fwd: Sarge - Installation stops at sd_mod

Georg Damm wrote:
Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:

Hi, this request was posted to our German list - maybe here is
a better chance to get it answered.

Coarse contents:

Georg tried to install bzz image (sarge) but due to poor
raid/sata experience, he dowsn't get any further than this:
Installation stops while inserting module "sd_mod". As Knoppix
can access the hardware very well, SATA or Raid controller
might be the problem.

No, I guess he maybe needs 2.6 kernel.

Yes and no. I was able to mount the disk with a 2.4.27 knoppix-kernel. I also tried a sarge net-inst with a 2.4.27 kernel, but it failed for the same reason. The same installation was succesfull, when I used the 2.6.8 kernel.

knoppix dont use the same kernel as the debian-installer. I dont even think they uses the same kernel as an installed debian-system, I think they build their own.

Or he can switch his sata controller to a "legacy ATA mode". Not
Sure if it works as I have not any s-ata drives at all.

No, I didn't find anything like that.

This is in bios, not in the debian-installer.

It may be possible to build an image with 2.6 kernel, but then
you cant use autopartkit, and you have to partition the drive
yourself. I hav vagely looked at providing a schema for partman,
but that's just vagely. If someone could point me to the
documentation on how to add a custom schema for partman I would
be happy.

Is it planned to build an image with 2.6 kernel? I don't worry about partitioning the disk myself, but I don't have a clue how to build the image.

I've bveen thinking about it. Offically, it's not planned, but I might give it a go.

// faj