Re: Error testing net for thinclients

fredag 10. desember 2004, 18:55, skrev Gavin McCullagh:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Axel Bojer wrote:
> > I am an amateur at this, so I am sorry if this was a bad explanation, but
> > what I meant was: In the fiels mentioned we have a setup for:
> > netmask, broadcats, gateway and nameserver. If the machines doing this
> > have been moved to another ip then our configuration file is not up to
> > date. I thought this could prevent the thinclients form working. Is this
> > not so?
>
> Don't worry, explanation of these things is sometimes rather difficult by
> email.  Sadly, we can't really draw diagrams to help us explain things on
> mailing lists.
>
> I don't yet understand what it is you have changed.  Apparently your main
> network is not using the standard IP range.  Of itself, I would imagine
> this is simple enough.  Clearly if you needed to change all of those files
> you were changing more than just IP addresses.
>
> I suspect it's secondary to your problem though.  If you haven't changed
> anything about the thin client network it should be unaffected.
>
> > The thinclients have their own subnet, a virtualnet I was told (a
> > segmented switch/router).
>
> I can only assume that you have this set up right.
>
> As far as I can imagine there are a few ways the dhcp process could break
> like this.
>
> 1. The correct DHCP (tjener:eth1) server sees the DHCP broadcast and for
> some reason doesn't reply.
> 2. The correct DHCP server doesn't see the DHCP broadcast.
> 3. The correct DHCP server sees the request and so does another wrong one
>    (eg tjener:eth0, some other dhcp server) and the wrong one replies
>    before the correct one.
>
> It might help to run tcpdump on tjener.  Basically that will echo out the
> headers of every packet which hist the network interface.  So you'd run
>
> tcpdump -i eth1
>
> and then boot the thin client.  Here is a dhcp request I've snagged from a
> local network here.
>
> 17:52:22.735513 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP,
> Request from 00:0d:93:b5:0d:56, length: 300 17:52:22.736544 IP
> ravioli.iccsb.46079 > cordelia.iccsb.domain:  49307+ PTR?
> 255.255.255.255.in-addr.arpa. (46)
>
> If you see the DHCP request, then you're dhcp server isn't responding.  If
> you don't see this then it likely isn't getting the request at all
> (suggesting it's on a different network from the thin client).

Dont know if you are up at this time of the day/night.
I get no response using this method.
I am copying this back to the list, hope that is ok.

One thing I could try another day (when the IT-staff is present) to test if
the Card is still working. I will test if some automatic tools has changed my
configuration of the dhcp-file.

-Axel

-Axel