Re: Error testing net for thinclients

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:22:48PM +0100, Axel Bojer wrote:
> fredag 10. desember 2004, 18:55, skrev Gavin McCullagh:

Alot have been written, And I gave up following this thread. okay,
seems like you still have problems, so I'll give it a shot.

First, try to locate which NIC is eth0 and which is eth1.

Normally, with new nics, you do get a message on the console when you
disconnects the cable. check this first.

using mii-tool and ethtool may also help you

if this wont help, check led's on the nic and the switch. check that it
actually lights up when connecting the cable.

Using a crossed cable and a laptop also helps, when debugging networks.

when you've located eth0, make sure you hav a connection to the default
gateway, and if you uses dynamic ip on eth0, getting an ip adress from
a dhcp server, make sure you get this.

when you have found made sure which card is eth0, and hopefully have
made a connection there, you may start start working on eth1, and the
connection to the thin clients.

Then, when you've made sure that the cables are working, you may start
using tcpdump.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no