Re: mozilla that works

Tuesday April 27 2004, 09:46, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Gjermund Skogstad wrote:
[snip]
> | Please take a look at the docs, especially numbers 4, 5 and 6:
> | http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/cdbygging/sl-packages_appendix/
>
> Quite interesting!
>
> Please discuss that with debian-legal@lists.debian.org - I am certain
> you are not the first to read those documents, and not the first with an
> interest in Java as an official Debian package.

Well I'm not so sure about that, I'm one the sources :)

As far as I understand the jurisdiction in this matter, the organisation I've
negotiated this agreement for is "Linux i Skolen" (aka "Skolelinux") which is
the legal owner of the Skolelinux-project. Exactly where do you find that
these document's content translates to debian's legal domain? I sure can't
see any connection.

My standing in this issue is that if debian wants the Java runtime-binaries
from SUN Microsystems, which I presume they don't given the fact that it's
missing from sage, I trust their ability to negotiate them selfs a deal to do
so. (However, please remember that I'm not a lawyer and are not planning to
be one soon either.)

> 'cause "we" does mean Debian, right?

Nope. "We" means Skolelinux, not debian. (Period.)

My interest in debian-edu is "Skolelinux" (which is the same thing now a
days), which is supposed to be "GNU/Linux adapted for schools". In this
respect it's my primary concern to set up all clients in Skolelinux in a
manner that enables them to run applications designed on the platform known
as java.

This is a big deal because it gives us (Skolelinux) a chance to brake some of
the existing lock-in towards windows for commercial edu-applications that
exists today, and thereby entice the companies in the market today to
implement more of their future titles in Java to reach more potential
customers (which presumably are using Skolelinux/debian-edu at that stage).
(We might just pull this one off, because the programmer implementing don't
need to care shit about debian, Linux or GNU as long as he/she knows Java.
Well allmost.).

In this respect it's of little or no interest for schools around the world
whether debian can accept SUNs licensing-policy or not. (And thus it should
not be on our agenda either.)

:)

Gjermund