Re: HELP: Thin Clients freeze after 30 minutes.

Ralf skrev:

Dear List,

on day two of our evaluation phase, the pro of centralized administrations shows its shadows: Aparently there is some problem with the terminal server (TS), anyway about 30 minutes after rebooting the TS, the thin clients' (TC) desktop freezes.

Configuration:
Tjener (LDAP) ==== Terminal Server ===== 100 MBit Switch (new) === TCs

The Terminal Server has pr47 and Klaus' Script that prevents users from logging in at two terminals simultaneously (cron job?). The freeze is not suddenly, but increases more and more: First, at one TC the desktop is not redrawn at once, then everything but the mouse freezes, reboot of TCs leads to "PXE Time Out - No Boot Disk".

When I check the TS (I have to go to the basement), there is no processes with high CPU usage (top), and no visible malfunction. However there are some dead links in /opt/lstp/ IIRC pointing to files like /tmp/allowed-hosts (something like that). I doubt however that this is the point, as some hour later the TC did boot again (4 hours later, they didn't any more, alas).

df shows no tight partitions (nor tjener nor TS).

I think you have a network problem of some kind. Could you try to hook up one thin client to the thin client server directly using a crossover TP cable and see if that helps?

Alternatively try running with out that script you mention.

There is no generic problem with the thin client solution that we are aware of, so I am inclined to ask you to look at your own setup again. Those symlinks in /opt/ltsp look very suspicious. They are not supposed to be there. Further down in the /opt/ltsp/i386 tree there are a number of symlinks that look as if they are dangling. That is normal, they are hooks for the thin clients and only give meaning inside a thin client mounted root file system.

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Ragnar Wisløff