Re: Too many default groups in Skolelinux' LDAP schema?

Hi,

may I suggest a different approach to this problem?

There should be a script on the file server. It can copy files from the
teachers directory to the pupils directory (="austeilen/distribute") or it
copies the files of the pupils in the teachers directory (="einsammeln/call
back[?]").

For being able to achieve this, the script needs root rights because it must
chmod 777 the home directories of the pupils before the copy action can take
place and chmod 700 afterwards.

The teacher could make a list for the pupils of each class, and the script
would take this list somehow as a parameter. This lists could be imported as
a CSV file and could be administrated with a Webmin account on the file
server.

(An alternative to Webmin could be to start the script via ssh-tunnel which
needs the ssh keys of the teachers to be generated and distributed on the
different machines. Experts say this solution is more safe than the webmin
solution.)

The script could be allowed to do this in the sudoers file of the file server,
just for the group teachers. So, finally you need just to groups: teachers
and pupils. At least, for the resolution of this problem.

When I visited the Didacta in Cologne some weeks ago, I saw a working solution
for this problem with the SuSE Open Exchange for School Server. But as I do
not have 500 Euro to buy it I don't know how they have solved this problem.
But maybe somebody else can check this out?

From my teaching experience I must say project directories or open directories
in the Windows style writabel to everybody is not a good solution. Maybe in
some situation it's o.k. But in day to day teaching practice I need a
mechanism to distribute with one click some files or a directory to the
pupils in the class room.

Regards
Stefan Padberg
Wuppertal, Germany