Re: Too many default groups in Skolelinux' LDAP schema?

Knut Yrvin:
> onsdag 17. mars 2004, 13:35, skrev Petter Reinholdtsen:
> > The problem is not the pupils, but their teachers.  If each teacher
> > should have access to the files for each class he teaches, he might
> > need to be a member of quite a lot of groups in larger schools.
>
> This is exactly what the Learning Management System (LMS) should
> handle :-).  A lot of schools will not pay for a LMS or maintain such a
> service. Then they probably want access to a class-directory with
> reading/writing rights. But i think more access than that will be
> difficult to follow and over-complex to maintain. The user-interface to
> the file-system is to complicated - where LMS is put together to
> handling that kind of complexity (work-flows, project-folder, deadlines
> etc. :-)

The EduPerson- and norEduPerson-schemas from the Feide-project could be
of good assistance here. Keeping in mind max 16 groups for nfs, but
rather store class-information in the attribute edupersonaffiliation -
and let the LMS or equivalent system handle authorization with use of
this attribute.

> A work-around could be that a teacher would be a member of their own
> class and have a new account for every course they teach. You could
> also give the teachers accounts for every class they teach. It's
> possible to give them identical password for every account. Then the
> teacher get the real responsibility for handeling a Learning Management
> System-issue at file and directory level.
No offence - but this is a solution one should avoid - we can find other
ways around it.. maybe not on a filesystem-level with regards to max num
of groups in nfs, but certainly on a file-server/lms.

--
Bjørn Ove Grøtan