Re: [Devel] We do need a "mascot"

I thought the goal here was to look globally and not just locally. Why not have one Education base LiveCD and simply localize as needed? That was why I had brought up Morphix. Localization is fairly trivial. At most, you could simply make a mini-mod for each region you want to support. The hope for the future is to have additional modules on a second cd for loading and expansion.

That allows everyone to contribute to making a great "Distro" and then allowing them to quickly modify for "Insert-your-region-stuff-here." Think of how much faster that would allow collaboration and improvements overall. One region, unlimited mini-mods for each region. Everyone benefits faster and more efficiently.

Back to the topic, you say Teacher Tux is the "trivial choice" and I can't tell if that is meant to be a good or bad comment. I thought the point here was to try and make this "trivial" for the masses... easily seen, easily understood, easily used, easily installed, etc. I would think we would want a simple, "trivial" mascot that goes beyond one place or region.

Perhaps a Teacher Tux for a base educational linux distro (I've thought of contacting the EduLinux.org owners) and then the Kobold could easily be adapted as a regional mascot through the localisation.

Like I said, I'm not trying to upset anyone, and I realize I'm a new-comer to this group, but I'm trying to look at this from a worldwide marketing strategy/position.