Re: [Devel] We do need a "mascot"

---- Messages d´origine ----
De: Thomas Templin <lists@gnuwhv.de>
Date: Lundi, F&eacute;vrier 23, 2004 11:12 pm
Objet: Re: [Devel] We do need a "mascot"

> > > What about the Idea for a logo which follows the "Dynamic Duo"
> > > http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnu-and-penguin-color-300x276.jpg
> > > lets have a Dynamic Trio. GNU, Skole-elfin, and a Tux. At least
> a Duo,
> > > GNU and the elfin.
> >
> > Merging two images ...
> >

> http://developer.ofset.org/cps/Groups/communiques_de_press/slx_mascot
> I think the elfin logo is a good idea. In (not only german)
> fairytales there
> are Kobolde which are known as some kind of good ghosts in a
> household who do
> all the unpopular homework at night when everybody sleeps. Quite so
> does
> Skolelinux for a teacher who has to manage a school network.
> Skolelinux the
> Teachers Kobold.
>
> And most kids like this liitle guys, longing for one who does all
> the ugly
> homework they have to do for school. :o)
>
> Anyone out there who will be able to make a blender'ed 3D Image of
> this little
> fellow? Or anybody who knows such a guy?

I like the cultural picture you just draw :) may be should ask the author.

It may be more important to provide an original mascot instead
of the overused Tux. Overused tux may look a bit odd and give an amateur
image.

Look at the big free software project around: Debian, Kde, Gnome. They
all have a distinctive mascot not related to tux. They do not have any
communication problem because of that.

And don't forget most of the kid don't know about Tux, so I don´t see
how is related the marketing impact when not using a Tux but a more
friendly elfin, which for sure will look more familiar for kids (thanks
Tolkien).

About 3D modeling design, I can ask to some people doing such things.

Hilaire