Re: Using Skolelinux at PTC and TPOSSCON in 2005

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:39:43PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> For the last 24 years, the Pacific Telecommunications Council
> http://www.ptc.org/
> has held its annual conference in Hawaii
> http://www.ptc.org/PTC05/program/index.html
>
> This year they will be using Linux for their Internet Cafe, and we will
> be setting it up for them using thin clients.  I am writing this list
> for several reasons:
>
> 1. I want to get a sense of whether the Sarge based version will be
> ready enough by then and if we can help to make it so.

Yes, As of today, there still are some tunning and manual configuration
needed, but hopefully there is some progress towards mid january. I'm
not sure if we will manage to get full security coverage by then, I'm a
bit pesimistic when it comes to security, although the process has been
started. I think what you can do is to help us with the security audit
already in progress:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.security/8550

For status and instruction on how to set up a working solution, please
look at
 http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/debian-edu_sarge_installation.txt

> 2. I want to know if anyone would like to join us in manning the 30 or
> 40 computers and in explaining how Skolelinux/Debian can be used in the
> various countries that will be present.

I'm sure we all would love to leave for Hawaii in mid January.
There is also the possibility for remote administration/support.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no