Re: Standard way to customize desktop environments

On Monday 25 October 2004 21:24, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > [1] it's located in debian-edu cvs an alioth src/desktop-profiles
> > module, current build of the package is available at
> > http://developer.skolelinux.no/~cobaco/desktop-profiles
>
> While I'm far from beeing a desktop configuration expert the stuff you
> described seems absolutely interesting for all CDDs.

hence the CC to debian-custom :-)

> Keeping this in
> mind I wonder if we might include the stuff you mentioned completely into
> the cdd package.

I thought about this, but (and this is open for discussion) :

1) In order for gconf (and thus gnome) to make use of the method proposed by
this package the system-wide gconf path file needs to be replaced by the
one I have in doc/examples. This means that ideally at some point you'd
have gconf depend on desktop-profiles and include the changed path file (it
doesn't change default behaviour, and it's more flexible).
-> having gconf depend on cdd-common seems weird to me

2) it's basically a mechanism for admins to easily find and control whatever
desktop customizations get installed by CDD's/other packages/themselves.
While hopefully CDD's will all use this to install their (desktop)
customizations, I don't hink this is a something strictly for CDD's, so I
think it is more logical to have it in it's own package

what do others think?

> > 3) Start discussing additional profiles/ current setup. What desktop
> > customizations would you like to see (do speak up here ,we _need_
> > feedback, but drop debian-custom from CC when replying on this point
> > :-)
>
> I do not think that it would be too boring for people here.
:-) it's debian-edu specific, so I'm guessing the people interested are on
the debian-edu list already

> > I think we should have (at least):
> > - debian-edu-network -> proxy settings, .. anything common to desktops
> > inside a debian-edu network
> > - debian-edu-student -> settings for students (background, desktop
> > icons, panel setup, maybe some things locked down with kiosk framework,
> > ...) - debian-edu-admin -> settings for admins (links to admin-tools
> > and documentation on desktop, ....)
> > - ....
>
> This falls into the scope of user roles, IMHO.

definately, you'll mostly have one profile specific to each role

P.S.
I'm on the list so no need to CC me :)
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):