Fwd: backup and desaster recovery question (ldap)

Hi,
Dirk kindly asked me to forward this, so here it goes...

==============================
Hello,

I got some worse experiences with my currently created
system. Some partitions were 'confused / destroyed'
because of hardware defects and I tried to build up
the system by a new installation and a backup.
I did not replay all of the backup, because there were
some enhancements I did when I recreated the system
installation.

Finally I recognized, that I could restore the home
folder and system settings (dhcp, ..), but have no
idea about the ldap database !

I posted it in the geman skolelinux.de mailinglist and
got some answeres that leads to the following
questions / theses:

- Is the ldap database part of the backup?

- if yes, where it is located?

- From the answers of skolelinux.de mailinglist it
sounds, as if a backup of the running ldap database is
not possible. Maybe it must be exported first ?

- If it must be exported first, a description for the
'newbie' admins is required

- if export is needed it will be helpful to integrate
it into the skolelinux backup module in webmin to make
it transparent and easy to handle (e.g. define a
possible pre-action for each backup path ?)

- same procedure for postgres db ?

best regards
Dirk Mikkelsen
mailto:dirkmemail-skolelinux@yahoo.de