Re: Outcome of Custom Debian Distro Workshop in Florence

as> * Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com) [040928 21:30]:
>> [... about cooperation with cdd ...]

as> i talked to enrico zini the other day and he suggested to make
as> all the debian-edu components modular. this would mean that it is
as> possible to use parts of our system as nicely preconfigured as
as> they come in our system.

as> for that we need to get debconf pre-seeding to work at package
as> installation time, not just for from-scratch installations.
as> pre-seeding needs to happen *before* any of the packages which we
as> want to configure are unpacked. However, with debians dependency
as> mechanism there is no way to achive that. what we would need is
as> to declare a new reverse pre-dependendy of all the packages which
as> are to be configured upon the pre-seeding package. Today there is
as> no way to declare such a dependency after the fact (meaning:
as> after building those packages).

as> I conclude that for broader technical cooperation between
as> customized debian distros with code and configuration re-use we
as> need changes in dpkg which allow for this.

I think this is possible if we use some dpkg triggers ... we probably
will need to provide a package to add this support but should not be
so dificilt. Think about how apt-listchanges and apt-utils works. Is
the same.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116