Re: Installation problems and other questions...

Hi,

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004, Frédéric BOITEUX wrote:

>   I have tried to install the SkoleLinux distribution for a teacher on her
> machine, and I got some problems at the installation :
>
> - I had to manually build the partitions, as there is also another system
> on the hard disk.

This is only my opinion but I don't think it too wise to have your main
server a dual boot machine.  I presume you're just testing it out but I
don't think the server installer was designed to dual boot.  It might be
wise to try and find a spare hard disk (about 5GB would be fine) to test
with (nb remove the Windows disk during install of course).

Might the initrd problem have been caused by this non-standard approach?

> - The target configuration is a main PC (server) and an old one used as a
> thin client.  The main PC has only one ethernet card, but don't have any
> internet access. The installation of LTSP fails because of only one
> ethernet card, do you think it's possible to use eth0 for LTSP ? have you
> some hints to do that ?

You can almost certainly do it but again it's probably not that wise.  A
second network card should cost no more than about €20.

If you're willing to roll up your sleeves I would imagine you can get eth0
to handle two IP addresses (10.0.0.2 on eth0 and 192.168.0.254 on eth0:1).
I haven't got a skolelinux machine in front of me but if I recall correctly
you could do something like:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet ....

with

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet ....

in /etc/network/interfaces.  I'm not sure if there may be references to
eth1 elsewhere that need changing though.  There probably are (port
forwarding for example).

> - what means the 'tjener' host name ?

It's Norwegian for 'Server'.  As far as I could hear it's pronounced
something like 'tsyainer' (Norwegians feel free to correct me).

> - to add some user accounts (teacher, pupils...), I have to connect as
> root to access webmin ?

Initially.  Once you create one user you can login as that user from then
on and use webmin as root.  I think there is a webmin users facility for
granting admin permissions to users (sort of like sudo).

> - I thought Skolelinux was built from an unofficial Sarge (as the
> d-installer), but it seems (from packages versions)  it's a Woody... Is
> there a planned update ?

It's woody right now.  The sarge version is being worked on as we type.
The last emails before yours were all about that.  Take a look in the
archive.

Gavin