Re: Installation problems and other questions...

Le Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:38:51 +0100, Gavin McCullagh
<lists_gmc@fiachra.ucd.ie> a écrit :

> > - I had to manually build the partitions, as there is also another
> > system on the hard disk.
>
> This is only my opinion but I don't think it too wise to have your main
> server a dual boot machine.  I presume you're just testing it out but I
> don't think the server installer was designed to dual boot.  It might be
> wise to try and find a spare hard disk (about 5GB would be fine) to test
> with (nb remove the Windows disk during install of course).
>
> Might the initrd problem have been caused by this non-standard approach?

Yes, the problem comes from building manually partitionment... but it's
strange
it's allowed by the installer and has a known grave bug (hopefully I know
 a bit Linux & Debian...)

> > - The target configuration is a main PC (server) and an old one used as
> > a thin client.  The main PC has only one ethernet card, but don't have
> > any internet access. The installation of LTSP fails because of only one
> > ethernet card, do you think it's possible to use eth0 for LTSP ? have
> > you some hints to do that ?
>
> You can almost certainly do it but again it's probably not that wise.  A
> second network card should cost no more than about €20.

Yes, but in my case, the first interface is totally not used ! Perhaps I can
tell eth0 is 'off' and use my network card as eth1 ?

or I will try aliasing as you suggests...

> > - what means the 'tjener' host name ?
>
> It's Norwegian for 'Server'.  As far as I could hear it's pronounced
> something like 'tsyainer' (Norwegians feel free to correct me).

Ok. I've looked the glossary on the Skolelinux site without success ...

	Thanks you for your information,
		cheers,
			Fred.