LTSP 3/4 XServer and old monitors

Hi,

on the thin client, if you use an old monitor/video card, it seems the
automatic X configuration frequently doesn't detect the limited monitor
frequencies.  As a result, X starts up after "starting syslogd" and you end
with a blank screen.

One solution is to give that MAC address a static IP Address in DHCP and
then create a host based X config in LTSP.  This is very much an expert
only solution and not one that is easily given to an ordinary user.

A couple of questions:

1. In order to document a quick solution, is there a set of safe horizontal
sync and vertical refresh ranges which would work with all (or even nearly
all) old monitors?

2. I notice that this problem doesn't occur for the thin client server (and
presumably the workstation) installer.  If you install the
server/workstation on the same hardware, X will start up just fine
detecting the limited available frequencies.  Is it simply that LTSP3 has
an old X server which isn't as good at monitor detection or is there
something more difficult about the thin client?  As such will LTSP4 solve
this?

I'd like to document a solution to the 'screen goes blank after "starting
syslogd"' issue.  The only way I can think of now is

  - Somehow find out suitable hsync & vref frequency ranges. eg pop in
    Knoppix, or even the server install and snag from XF86Config-4? Use
    known safe ones?
  - Note MAC address of client
  - In Webmin->Servers->DHCP configure static IP/Name for that MAC address
  - In Webmin->Servers->LTSP create a new host with the above Name and set
    Horizontal Sync and Vertical Refresh by hand.

This is a little on the complicated side but it's doable I suppose.
Booting Knoppix in order to note the frequencies is really rather complex
though.  A known safe set would be much better.

I suppose it might be possible to add a boot option to Knoppix which --
rather than going into KDE -- would detect X settings and display the
result.

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Gavin