Re: dual boot installation of Debian-edu/Skolelinux based on Woody

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:31:31PM +0200, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> Am Samstag 31 Juli 2004 13:58 schrieb Finn-Arne Johansen:
> > >  http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/install_without_autopartkit
> > >.txt
>
> hey finn,
>
> thanks again for that brilliant report - i translated it into German and put
> it on https://www.skolelinux.org/de/documentation/howtos/dualboot/
>
> Maybe you could do the same to the corresponding English site
> https://www.skolelinux.org/portal/documentation/howtos/dualboot/

I leave it up to those with write access to the English Site. I Need to
write this in CVS.

> One or another question came into my mind while translatiing:
>
> What version of Slx did you use? Is this still valid with 1.0 (ext2)?

This was with Skolelinux v 1.0 (venus)

> does in grub's CML boot (hda0,4) mean: take hda and there part. 4 (hda4)
> because this extended volume contains hda5?

No, (hd0,4) # not (hda0,4)
This is interprented by grub as the first disk (no matter if it's ide
or scsi) (hd0)
And then the grub uses zerobased numbering of the partition, so on an
ide-based machine
 (hd0,0) would normally mean /dev/hda1
 (hd1,3) would typically mean /dev/hdc4 (or /dev/hdb4)

so (hd0,4) means /dev/hda5 on my laptop

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no