RE: FET - tablix - intime - schooltool

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:05:32 +0200, Ralf Gesel|ensetter <rgx@gmx.de> wrote:

> As I have the option to export all data in an exchangable format, I thought
> about supporting the development of GPL projects, this is what I found:
>
> http://www.lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/index.html
>
> "FET is an evolutionary program (using a genetic algoritm) for automatically
> generating the timetable of a school, high-school or faculty. It is licensed
> under GNU/GPL (free software, open source). It is designed to be used in a
> free software operating system, like GNU/Linux." ...
>
> "Other free software for school administration/scheduling:
>
> TABLIX: http://users.kiss.si/~k4fe1336/tablix/
> SchoolTool: http://www.schooltool.org/
> intime: http://intime.sourceforge.net/ "
>
> Is anybody on this list familiar with one or another of these?

I'm the manager of the SchoolTool project.  SchoolTool is a framework
for administrative applications, which will include timetabling.
We're starting to work on requirements for an interactive timetabling
interface for SchoolTool (like to intime, which I hadn't seen before,
so thanks for the link) and I expect we'll have an initial release of
that before the end of the year.  We'll subsequently fund the
development of either a new automatic timetabling algorithm or (more
likely) the extension and integration of one of the existing
algorithms.

We'll start working on timetabling requirements in earnest on the
SchoolTool mailing list (find it via http://schooltool.org) in a few
weeks, so I'd encourage interested people to join the discussion.  Our
goal is to create solutions that are international in scope, so the
wider the range of input, the better.

--Tom Hoffman