Re: roadmap after version 1.0

Andreas Schuldei wrote:
<snip/>
16 groups, filesystems [..]
Cerebrum, user management [..]
user friendly interface, webmin [..]
ilias [..]
this is kurts favourit learning-management system, since it has
heavy develpment teams and support behind it (like cerebrum, but
better because it is germans doing it :-). there are however
50+ learning-management systems out there and we need an overview
of what is good and what the best solution would be.
Everone agreed that we do need a learing management system.

Maybe I have an idea ;)

We're a small team currently developing a communication platform for
our school. It's based on PHP and supports LDAP and SQL user management
and includes a lot of modules. For details see group-office on sf.net.

It could solve some problems we have here:

Filesharing over NFS, SMB and WebDAV
-> deadline is 19th April 04; AFS/coda is on our todo-list, we have
   not decided yet which system we will use, so we are flexible.
User Management / user friendly web interface
-> currently works with SQL users, we have it already running with LDAP
   users, but this code is not integrated in the actual CVS version, and
   will be integrated till end of April. It is a nice PHP-based
   interface and should be usable for users without problems.
learning-management-system
-> currently not implemented. we're working an an online test module,
   but we currently do not support any kind of elearning format. We'd
   like to integrate some standards (like SCORM), but that is not
   top-priority.

Some general things: group-office is used at our school for filesharing
(via webinterface or WebDAV [SMB and NFS soon]), which does not only
mean that you can have your files on the server, but also that you can
share them with others (read- and write-permissions on user- and
group-base) over these protocols. It additionally has a project
management module (some of our teachers use this), a calender interface
(where we can import the timetables of teachers, classes and rooms from
gp-untis) and some other things (webmail, notes, soon: forum, chat)
We use LDAP as authentication source, and do all our user management
tasks via group-office.

maybe it could be used for skolelinux user management (it is designed
to be userfriendly and should therefore be usable for everybody and
could replace webmin for this purpose), maybe the other features are
also nice for skolelinux ;)

feel free to take a look or ask for details.. since we're using it on
debian/testing, it should be no problem to integrate it here; it needs
php and mysql, and ldap can be used.

best regards, Markus
--

Computers are like airconditioners:
  They stop working properly if you open windows.