Re: squeak

* Andreas Schuldei <andreas@schuldei.org> [040316 23:43]:

> * ajsiegel@optonline.net (ajsiegel@optonline.net) [040316 23:30]:

> > > do you have some more insight in this? can you estimate how fast
> > > this can be resolved?
> > >
> > > is the process moving forward at all? in what direction?
> >
> > I guess you are mssing my point.
>
> yes, obviously. and vice versa, perhaps?
>
> > Why does debian-edu care to be involved?
>
> We want good educational software for our kids/endusers.
> We do prefer free software.
>
> > Why do they choose to "do business" with Mr. Kay.
>
> well, i think i can speak for the absolut majority of debian-edu
> that we did not even know of the existance for Mr. Kay until you
> mentioned him. we took the initiative to push for a license
> change for squeak because we would like to distribute it. Does
> that imply doing buissness with him?
>
> The point in my mail was that i was hoping for a time estimate of
> the process to change the squeak license towards a DFSG compatible
> one.
>
> i did not care about disneys past involvement specifically
> because i concluded from the wiki page in the previous mail that
> the squeak people were on top of things and some kind of licence
> changing process was underway. i thought you were watching things
> more closely and could provide further information

LinEx, the spanish Debian based Distribution, 66 000 computers in
primary schools in Estremadura, is using squeak. We saw it in Malaga
and they told us, that apple has given them the right to use it.

I would like it very much, if we can get squeak free!

Regards/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt
--
LUG Ravensberg      http://www.lugrav.de