Re: About metapackages

On 2002.09.15 14:27 Raphael Hertzog wrote:
We have two distinctions to do :
- the domain (math, languages, physics, etc.)
- the required level (<12 years, >=12 and <=18 years, >18 years)

I'm looking for good names for the distinction based on the level. We
all know that the shool system differs much in all the countries so
we must find something generic.

May I suggest a different approach? Could the meta packages ask the person installing the software for an age-group. It could be entered as a lower age and higher age. Then the meta-package could decide itself which packages to install. We will have to rate each package for an age group at some stage. This could possibly be used to build Debian-Edu menus as well to make it easier for users to find and run relevant programs. Would we need to make changes to dpkg? I'm not 100% sure how to start doing something like this. Is it practical? Comments/questions welcomed.

The best I thought about is :
low-level
medium-level
high-level

However, it's not very explicit. Do you have better suggestions ?
Another possibility :
kids, teenagers, adults

Concerning the list of domains, I think that the list as described
on the wiki is quite good. However we may want to add "geography",
"history", "biology" ? Any other ? What about astronomy and
electronics,
should they be merged in physics ?

I've added a geography section and added GRASS http://grass.itc.it/index2.html to it. I've found that history is taught differently in every country. The story is told from the point of view of the home country. I don't know what resources could be useful in all those different curriculums.

jos