Re: evaluate software.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 06:06:00PM +0200, Jérôme Signouret wrote:
> I'm thinking all educationnal software need to be see by some teacher to
> tell what children can use it.
> I'm thinking the level of children are very different in all country.
> In france in physics and chemistry we have a strict program. It's very
> difficult to find a software who is agree with the program.
> The list can create a list of software you can in each country for each level.
> Isn't it ?

If you're talking about development of curricula using open and free
resources, that is yet a different problem than simply making the software
available to people.  I think DebianEdu's goal necessarily needs to be to
provide breadth of coverage, giving educators choices, not to make the
choices for them.  From one country to another, and from one level to
another, the needs, as you say, are very different.  Debian does not need to
involve itself with those decisions.  So long as someone, somewhere says "I
would like to see this included in DebianEdu because it would be useful in
my classroom" then I believe it should be included.

Now, to a certain extent, DebianEdu should help focus the decision-making
process by including the best quality alternatives available (excluding, for
example, badly maintained or broken software where better, working
alternatives exist) and grouping the software into individual meta packages.

In other words, DebianEdu, like Debian Jr., provides a foundation for a
whole array of different very specific applications.  It is still the job of
the user to make further selections from our very broad offerings to meet
their specific needs.

But for help on deciding how to use the software provided by Debian in your
curricula, I think you should look to Schoolforge[1] which includes a number
of projects with a more narrow focus on using open resources in particular
locales and for particular age ranges.

Ben
[1] http://www.schoolforge.net/