Re: [Debian-NYC] linux question (ubuntu studio pro / double-booting)

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 01:08:25PM -0500, Carlos wrote:
> Hello Moira,
>
> I encourage you to attend our next Novice Night for assistance with
> the various problems you reported.  In the meanwhile, here are a few
> suggestions that may enable you to address your "free space" issue
> yourself:
> - 6.4 GB is a normal amount of root filesystem disk usage for Ubuntu
> - It's a good idea to have a separate /home filesystem for user data.
> This is typically where you would store media produced in Ubuntu
> Studio. This filesystem may consequently grow large (eg tens to
> hundreds of gigs)
> - You probably want to reduce the amount of space taken by your
> Windows partition by resizing it using the tool "GParted".  You could
> then increase the amount of space allocated to your linux
> partitions/filesystems by resizing them using the space you freed by
> resizing the Windows partition.
> - Reading the following article may be enough for you to figure out
> how to resize partitions and/or create a separate /home partition, if
> desired: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
> - Following the instructions in the article above, or doing anything
> else with partitions/filesystems, without understanding what you're
> doing, will probably result in DATA LOSS.
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos
I'd would suggest (if this has not been done) to do an 'aptitude clean', as
this might remove some saved debian binary archives that may be taking up
space.
Its a safe command unless you need the debs to reinstall something. But in
general having little space on your hard drive will not affect how fast a
program functions in RAM. So clearning out your hard drive will not improve how
fast a prorgram runs, it will just allow you to work on files and add new ones.
>From my own useage, 10 GB seems like a good size for /usr where most programs
live. And I also like a seprate /home

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|