Re: [Debian-NYC] debugging network slowness

Hi Steve--

On 12/11/2010 10:00 AM, steve beltzer wrote:
> My netbook is still running slow from my home via Debian / Iceweasel and at
> reasonable speed via Windows 7 / Firefox:   I recently opened Iceweasel from
> a terminal as root and got this message in a dialogue box:

These messages are because your superuser shell (you probably entered
into it with something like "su -" ?) doesn't have direct access to your
X11 session or to the running dbus session.  This is expected, and
probably a good thing so that you don't run things like web browsers as
the superuser. ;)

The reason for privilege separation like this is to make sure that if
one program runs amok (e.g. a web browser, which is a huge amount of
complex code reading, parsing, and acting on a lot of code coming in
over an untrustworthy network) it won't be able to do things like hose
your entire computer.

I know some people who always run their web browsing in a dedicated user
account, in fact, not even their primary user account, so that a buggy
or compromised browser can't trash their important data.

> It doesn't return the prompt....

the way a shell works is that it launches commands, and then returns a
prompt when the command is done.  If iceweasel is still running, then
you won't get a prompt back until iceweasel itself terminates.  make sense?

The only situation where that isn't true is (for example) if the
iceweasel discovers another process it thinks can handle the request
(e.g. another instance of iceweasel) and it talks to that process and
sends it a request to open a window on its behalf.  then the requesting
process has done it's duty, and it can terminate, which brings you back
to the shell.  Make sense?

	--dkg

PS An interesting question to think about: what kinds of things would
happen if the shell never waited for its child processes to terminate
before returning a new prompt?