Re: [Debian-NYC] Organizations to reach out to for Novice Nights

Maybe it would be worthwhile to contact some of the local universities with Computer Science departments (infect the new generation of linux users with the Debian Bug)

Yosef Skolnick
516-690-SKOL

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Ron Guerin <ron@vnetworx.net> wrote:
Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need to collect a list of organizations to reach out to for Novice
> Nights.  As has been said elsewhere, a diversity (instead of "the
> usual suspects") is critical here.
>
> Some of Carlos's ideas were: non-profits, specific ethnic/religious
> groups, small businesses, local government, active-duty military.
>
> If you have specific contacts, you can mail (rkd zgib.net) or IRC them
> directly to me.  Please include:
>
> - Organization,
> - contact person name,
> - email address,
> - if you would like to be the interface to relay announcements to the
>   group.
>
> Since this includes specific names and emails, it can't be made
> public.  I will collect them and keep them private, but share them
> with whoever heads up novice nights later.
>
> Any other thoughts on this?  Any other ideas to kick this off?

I've been forwarding the announcements to some local groups.   By
"local" I mean within commuting distance of NYC.  You might want to
consider making use of the previously-assembled list of local user
groups to contact for DebConf10, or I will dig up and re-send the list
I'd previously assembled as a starting point.  With school back in
session some of the groups that couldn't be reached for DebConf10 may be
back in operation.

Aside: the list I assembled was compiled from public (web) sources, so
I'll probably just paste in a reply here if you need it.

- Ron