Re: [Debian-NYC] video at workshop/BSP ?

On 01/25/2010 02:46 AM, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> * So, the proposal is to capture that process two-fold:
>
> 1. Using script(1) -t, a console capture program (-t captures the timings)
  [...]
> What do you think? Do you think you'd like to participate? Do you think the
> output would indeed be useful / interesting?

This is a neat proposal.  I like the opt-in nature of it, and the
relatively high signal-to-noise ratio as well (no bytes wasted with
images of someone unrelated horsing around in the background eating
sandwiches or something.

One concern is that even the most console-oriented among us rarely use
only a single console, so a single script capture wouldn't be
sufficient.  And as Hans mentioned earlier, it would be good to have
some recordings that use a "normal" (sigh) GUI environment so that we
don't scare away newcomers who might think you have to use green text on
a black screen in order to help squash bugs.

So a tool like recordmydesktop might be a good idea as a script
replacement to capture the broader desktop session (it might also solve
the potential audio/video sync issue that i suspect you'll run into with
the separate headset/script approach).

The BSP is coming right up.  have you done a runthrough with these tools
(whatever tools you end up choosing), and verified that the data that
comes out is something that would be useful to you?

	--dkg