Re: [Debian-NYC] Workshop #3 feedback

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:31:44PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> - use a computer that looks like theirs, like a plain old GNOME setup.

This seems to be a perfect use of a Debian Live system - also solves
the "well, I guess that was already installed" thing.

> - avoid technical diversions while walking thru the processes.  Yes,
> these are good for the advanced users, but for the newbies, its hard
> to tell what's required and what extra info.

This is a really good point, and solving this should be one of our key
foci of future workshops.

After the workshop, I saw how useful for answering questions which
needn't be said aloud, and catching up.  We should probably make use
of this more in the future.

- get a whiteboard (or something) with a list of commands we run.
  Helps if you get behind.

- suggest advanced questions to be asked in IRC.  Try to use the IRC
  side-channel efficiently.

- say we'll go through it twice: once real simple, start to finish as
  fast as we can (as is usually the goal!).  If a question is
  advanced/a diversion, Keep it in a separate list (could be on the
  board), and go back and do it again, with advanced commentary.

Other ideas?

- richard