Re: [Debian-NYC] looking for a mentor

On 01/23/2010 12:39 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:
> Peter was responsible for orphaning the package. Rodolphe picked it up
> but hasn't returned my email. His version in experimental is far
> behind upstream.

Is this documented in the BTS someplace?  For example, if there's a bug
that covers the orphaning/adoption (sorry, i haven't checked myself),
i'd post comments on that bug so that there's a record of the situation,
and propose a reasonable timeline for what you plan to do in those comments.

>> Also, if you could get the two packages to clarify the difference
>> between them (when would i need pgpool2 instead of pgpool?) in their
>> descriptions, that would probably be helpful.
>
> Indeed, good advice. They are different, non-compatible versions of
> the same application. The descriptions do little to illustrate that
> fact.
>
>> If the pgpool (not pgpool2) is deprecated by upstream (as it appears
>> from http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/), perhaps it should be
>> phased out of the debian archive as well, in favor of pgpool2.  that
>> might be worth filing a bug about (assuming you understand the situation
>> with upstream -- i don't at all, and am just guessing!)
>
> Also good advice. I'll try and get plugged in with the individuals
> responsible for maintaining the package. What is the process if I
> don't hear from them in a reasonable amount of time?

Again, i'd make sure to do these contacts explicitly through the BTS (as
well as CC'ing the individuals involved) so that there's a record for
the MIA team to review if there is no response, ultimately.  I assume
you've read the relevant bits in the developer's reference about
adopting a package:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#adopting

If the package has already been handed over to Rodolphe by some
agreement (again, i haven't looked into the history in detail), then you
might want to consider contacting the MIA team about the situation, and
asking them what they think:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa

So the way i'd likely proceed for now would be to comment on the
relevant bugs, alert the MIA team if necessary, and go ahead with
building the package for 2.3.1 (or whatever the latest upstream is by
that point).  If possible, do your work in a public revision control
system, and start from the source package that Rodolphe left in
experimental back in October, so that your changes are easy to see.

Do what you can to address all open bugs the package has in debian
(looks like just one, a missing explicit library during linkage that
might have been fixed by upstream) and look at the lintian output to see
if you can clean that stuff up too.  Feel free to ask questions if you
get stuck along the way.

Once you feel comfortable with it (or even while you're developing, if
you want to make it easier for folks to help out), publish your
packaging and follow up again on the bugs, pointing to it.

At that point there are a few possible outcomes:

 * Rodolphe sees your changes, decides he likes them, and goes ahead and
picks it back up again, using your changes.  You don't become the
maintainer for the package, but the package goes into debian, and you
get to use it anyway

 * You and Rodolphe (and peter?) decide to maintain the package as a
team (having an alioth account is a good idea to prepare for this
scenario -- have you created one yet? https://alioth.debian.org/)

 * Rodolphe is either unresponsive or agrees to let you adopt the
package; you get it sponsored by a DD to be uploaded.

Those all look like positive outcomes to me (and positive outcomes for
everyone else who might need access to pgpool!)

	--dkg

PS the MIA team can be helpful even when they don't resort to their
official bring-the-hammer-down powers.  I've gotten responses from
otherwise unresponsive folks simply because the MIA team was CC'ed (or
so it seemed to me, anyway).  Keeping it polite is crucial, though,
because there are lots of reasons why people do go MIA, unfortunately,
some of them well out of a person's control.