Re: [Debian-NYC] looking for a mentor

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 03:24 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:
>> I found a package that has been orphaned and seems to continue to lack
>> leadership. It's also very far from upstream.
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=pgpool2
>>

> i note that pgpool (not only pgpool2) is also in debian, maintained by
> Peter Eisentraut <petere@debian.org>, and it has a nearly identical
> description to pgpool.  Furthermore, Rodolphe Quiédeville
> <rodolphe@quiedeville.org> has uploaded pgpool2 into experimental back
> at the end of october, and appears to have another version waiting for a
> sponsor in the mentors.debian.net archive:
>
>  http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pgpool2.html
>
> Have you written to either Peter or Rodolphe about the situation?  I'd
> check in with them to see if there's any way you can help out with the
> packaging, or to see what they think is needed.

Peter was responsible for orphaning the package. Rodolphe picked it up
but hasn't returned my email. His version in experimental is far
behind upstream.

> Also, if you could get the two packages to clarify the difference
> between them (when would i need pgpool2 instead of pgpool?) in their
> descriptions, that would probably be helpful.

Indeed, good advice. They are different, non-compatible versions of
the same application. The descriptions do little to illustrate that
fact.

> If the pgpool (not pgpool2) is deprecated by upstream (as it appears
> from http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/), perhaps it should be
> phased out of the debian archive as well, in favor of pgpool2.  that
> might be worth filing a bug about (assuming you understand the situation
> with upstream -- i don't at all, and am just guessing!)

Also good advice. I'll try and get plugged in with the individuals
responsible for maintaining the package. What is the process if I
don't hear from them in a reasonable amount of time?

-lee