Re: [Debian-NYC] looking for a mentor

On 01/21/2010 03:24 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:
> I found a package that has been orphaned and seems to continue to lack
> leadership. It's also very far from upstream.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=pgpool2
>
> I need to integrate pgpool for work so I figure this is a good chance
> to start on my way to getting sponsored as a DD. I'm pretty good at
> building packages, but I don't really know the steps I should take to
> make this the "real deal". Advice would be appreciated.

i note that pgpool (not only pgpool2) is also in debian, maintained by
Peter Eisentraut <petere@debian.org>, and it has a nearly identical
description to pgpool.  Furthermore, Rodolphe Quiédeville
<rodolphe@quiedeville.org> has uploaded pgpool2 into experimental back
at the end of october, and appears to have another version waiting for a
sponsor in the mentors.debian.net archive:

 http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pgpool2.html

Have you written to either Peter or Rodolphe about the situation?  I'd
check in with them to see if there's any way you can help out with the
packaging, or to see what they think is needed.

Also, if you could get the two packages to clarify the difference
between them (when would i need pgpool2 instead of pgpool?) in their
descriptions, that would probably be helpful.

If the pgpool (not pgpool2) is deprecated by upstream (as it appears
from http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/), perhaps it should be
phased out of the debian archive as well, in favor of pgpool2.  that
might be worth filing a bug about (assuming you understand the situation
with upstream -- i don't at all, and am just guessing!)

hth,

	--dkg