Re: [Debian-NYC] video at workshop/BSP ?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:54:10AM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I'm not sure the best way to approach this, because asking people to
> single themselves out as not-wanting-to-be-filmed itself feels a bit
> coercive.  And filming only part of the room doesn't seem like a great
> solution either.  For example, if a recording is underway, does it
> discourage participation from someone who doesn't want to be filmed
> (even if they're off-camera)?

For DebConf10 I was thinking of adding a check box "Please do not
photograph or film me without separate permission." to the registration
software, which would be translated into an icon on their badge so that
official DC10 photographers will leave them out and all other photographers
can be strongly requested to do so.

You may feel this is coercive, but I've actually discussed it with some
probable attendees who don't want their pictures taken, and they like the
idea. I got the idea from a non-tech conference I attended in Ann Arbor
which made sure to give each attendee the option to opt out using a less
techie version of exactly this method (telling everyone about an opt-out
paper form and offering blue dots to stick on the nametags). It seems at
least strictly more sensitive to people's wishes than past years.

Feel free to adopt, adapt, or neither for Debian-NYC events.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org