Re: [Debian-NYC] video at workshop/BSP ?

On 01/21/2010 04:30 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:
> I'll bring a trench coat, fedora and disguise glasses for you to wear.
> You'll be fine. Or just wear a bright orange coat and I can key your
> body out of each shot!

I appreciate that this is humor (and i think it's funny), but because
people often confuse humor with dismissal, i feel obliged to make this
clarification:

I think people's preferences to not be recorded and to control
information about their own persons needs to be respected.  While i'm
fine with my image being public, i don't want to participate in a
gathering where people are filmed or recorded without their consent,
whether that recording is subsequently published or not.

One nice thing about the online work we do is that each of us has an
opportunity to decide what they present to the outside world.  the same
thing isn't true for a video recording of a live event.

I'm not sure the best way to approach this, because asking people to
single themselves out as not-wanting-to-be-filmed itself feels a bit
coercive.  And filming only part of the room doesn't seem like a great
solution either.  For example, if a recording is underway, does it
discourage participation from someone who doesn't want to be filmed
(even if they're off-camera)?

Another way of asking this:  what do we gain from filming/recording?
what do we lose?  Is the tradeoff worthwhile?  Are there other ways to
get similar gains without suffering the losses?

	--dkg