Re: [Debian-NYC] Next Debian-NYC Gathering

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 05:58:51PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:46:26PM -0400, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > I appreciate that. As you rightly guess, I am wary of carrying my
> > passport around too much, which is why I wish to use my Texas state
> > ID. Good to know that people will accept that as identification.
>
> Bringing the passport is more important for those who don't have an ID that US
> people would be familiar with. I'd say any photo ID from a US state's
> department of motor vehicles is familiar enough, but not (for example) an ID
> from one of the states within Germany, Mexico, or India. That's a few quick
> thoughts of mine and shouldn't be taken as having too much authority; each
> individual keysigner makes their own decisions about whether they've seen
> sufficiently convincing ID to sign someone's key.

I understand. I did guess that it would be unlikely that people would
say "Sorry, I've never seen a Texas License/ID before, so no signing
your key!" :-). But if several of you insist that I possess my Indian
passport (which fewer people would have seen than Texas IDs, but it
does have a US Visa), I'd have to carry it with me, much as I'd like
to avoid it.

Thanks.

Kumar
--