Re: [Debian-NYC] Next Debian-NYC Gathering

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:46:26PM -0400, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > Yes, the state ID cards are fine.  A lot of people bring passports if
> > it's convenient, but it's not "required".
>
> I appreciate that. As you rightly guess, I am wary of carrying my
> passport around too much, which is why I wish to use my Texas state
> ID. Good to know that people will accept that as identification.

Bringing the passport is more important for those who don't have an ID that US
people would be familiar with. I'd say any photo ID from a US state's
department of motor vehicles is familiar enough, but not (for example) an ID
from one of the states within Germany, Mexico, or India. That's a few quick
thoughts of mine and shouldn't be taken as having too much authority; each
individual keysigner makes their own decisions about whether they've seen
sufficiently convincing ID to sign someone's key.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org